BUSINESS BRANDING CASE STUDY
After a consultation with the company director we agreed on a direction for the design. It was to be the silhouette of a gender neutral head, and a heartbeat/pulse mark in the head. I also added the text HR after another discussion, as it make the logo appear more purposeful.
First step was to find a free version a head silhouette; which I just pulled using a quick Google search. However the head was very masculine, so I morphed the shape using Photoshop to create something a lot more gender neutral.
Then I opened the new shape in Adobe Illustrator and created the heartbeat/pulse rate. I merged the 2 layers together and exported the design back into Photoshop.
PROBLEM: PPD is a medical HR consultancy startup with no branding direction. The CEO wanted to set a professional tone both visually and contextually across their range of publishing. Their products include a website, a mobile app and print media.
SOLUTION: The creation of a business logo and varying forms of the design that can be used across multi platforms. A style guide setting rules regarding colour, typeface, imagery, verbiage and use of the company logo. Finally, applying these new elements to the webpage.
CREATING A GENDER NEUTRAL SHAPE IN PS
I created a few versions of the same logo for different publishing purposes (emails, letterheads, website, mobile app, business cards, physical signage and window stickers).
I started to create a style guide, and labelled all the colour styles used in the logo, as well as the typeface. I made rules for the logo variations: where each type of logo should be used - when and where it was appropriate to use another style, etc.
MOBILE APP LOGO:
I made app variations of the logo too, which needed to have a coloured background. And then I created a mockup of what the app will look like using the current app template combined with the new logo and colour scheme.
The typeface for the company branding was to have a 'professional' tone. Not too playful or of any bias. As a medical consultancy business it needed to heir on academic yet unpersonalised. I chose a thick Sans Serif font, because it kept the professional tone as well as visually complimented the thick block-like visuals of the company logo.
Writing the content for a company website requires a great understanding of the business model, an insight as to the customer needs, and the craftsmanship to choose the words to deliver the correct tone. Again, the tone was to be professional, experienced and academic. I didn't want to flood the page with 'fancy jargon' - rather move from pilar to pilar of correct terminology.
IMAGES AND ICONOGRAPHY:
I chose a set of thick graphic icons to show the company services. It matches the tone of the logo (and now effectively the tone of the company). Doing this created unity between all graphic iconography and harmonious feel throughout the site. The images used on the website will be professional photos. This makes the company appear successful and adds an element of credibility. All the images are to be predominantly white, with only other major colour elements of blue. Then each image has been treated with an overly blue filter. Again, creating unity throughout the site.
I worked on this project closely with a web developer. So the website took shape throughout the sprint, however I needed a handover for the client also. I delivered a full style guide - so that there is zero confusion about design decisions moving forward. I delivered this full style guide along with the high res copies and working files for the business logos.